Andres is a doctoral candidate in ecology and evolutionary biology mentored by A. Townsend Peterson and Jorge Soberón.
I am interested in the description and analysis of species’ distributions at multiple spatial scales. In particular I am exploring the scaling of factors that determine the presence of a species’ in a particular site in contrast to its entire geographic range. Using the Desert Mistletoe (Phoradendron californicum) as a model system, I am incorporating population dynamics and correlative approaches as the means for understanding the area of distribution of a species. I am also interested in the analysis of general diversity patterns at local and regional levels, as well as the evaluation and assessment of beta-diversity in relation to ecological niche theory.
B.Sc. Biology, UNAM - 1998-2001
M.Sc. Environmental Biology, UNAM - 2005-2006
Ph.D. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, KU - 2008-present
- 2010. Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) Grant. 4,000 euros. “A Comparison of Correlative and Mechanistic Ecological Niche Modeling Approaches for Understanding Biodiversity Pattern”
- 2010. GIS Day at KU, 2nd Place Speaker. $150 US.
- 2010Tinker Summer Field Research Grant. $1350 US dls (includes a matching fund from the Biodiversity Institute, The University of Kansas). “Mapping of the distribution of the hemiparasitic plants Phoradendron californicum and P. serotinum (Viscaceae) at different spatial scales.”
- 2009Marcia Brady Tucker Student Travel Award for presenting at the 127th Stated AOU Meeting (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 12-15 August)
- 2009—NHM Panorama Fund—$1000.00
- 2008-present—CONACYT Fellowship
- Fabricio Villalobos, Andrés Lira-Noriega, Jorge Soberón and Héctor T. Arita. 2011. Range-diversity plots for conservation planning: using richness and rarity in priority setting. International Biogeography Society (IBS), Crete.
- Lira-Noriega, A. 2010. Insights on the distribution of the desert mistletoe. Center of Latin American Studies—Meriendas (KU).
- Lira-Noriega, A. 2010. A GIS and object oriented classification application to the problem of scaling ecological patterns and processes. GIS Day, KU.
- Schukman, J.M., Andrés Lira-Noriega and A. Townsend Peterson. 2009. Ecological characterization of Say’s and Eastern Phoebes at multiple spatial scales. 127th Stated AOU Meeting (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 12-15 August 2009).
- Jorge Soberón and Andrés Lira-Noriega. 8th Annual Symposium GIS Day at KU. Presentation. 2009. An analysis of conservation gaps for Mexico. November 18, 2009.
- Lira- Noriega, A. Jorge Soberón, Patricia Koleff,Héctor T. Arita, Patricia Dávila, Oscar Flores-Villela, Gonzalo Halffter, Claudia E. Moreno, Elizabeth Moreno, Mariana Munguía, Miguel Murguía, Adolfo G. Navarro-Sigüenza, Oswaldo Téllez, Leticia Ochoa-Ochoa, A. Townsend Peterson and Pilar Rodríguez. 2008. Spatial diversity patterns of the Mexican vertebrales. 93rd Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 4.
- Soberón, J. and A. Lira-Noriega. 2008. The association of environmental variables with diversity measures at different spatial scales. 93rd Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 4.