I support the Biodiversity Institute including it's wide variety of computer aided research goals. My duties include the oversight of a large number of Windows and Linux servers including a computational cluster. I also serve as desktop support for hundreds of research professionals in every biolgical construct from an Archaeology Research Center, to a Bioinformatics department, to the KU DNA Sequencing Lab, etc. Our offices incorporate Linux, Mac OSX and Windows machines into a common network utilizing a central repository for authentication and a centralized network storage.
- Oversee the purchasing of all new IT related Hardware.
- Serve as Web Advisory Board Committee member.
- Design Networks and system solutions to support multiple research efforts.
- Create budgets and aid in the development of other divisional budgets.
- Interact with KU's IT infrastructure and Support Staff as a Technical Liaison.
- Build and maintain Virtual Server environments using VMWare, VBox and MS Hyper-V.
- Created and maintain Jabber server integrated into LDAP directory to enhance inter-departmental communications.
- Maintain and Upgrade EMC Networker Backup System.
University of Kansas, Bachelors of Communication Studies
Education Activities and Societies:
Senator, KU Student Senate
Chair, KU Student Senate Student Rights Committee
Vice-President, KU Campus Internet Association
Representative, KU Association of University Residence Halls
2001-2008 System Administrator & Assistant Director of Ticketing
The Lied Center of Kansas, The University of Kansas
2001-2006 Network Systems Administrator
Davis Networking, Lenexa, KS
1999-2001 Software Support Specialist
Black & Veatch, Overland Park, KS
Education/Training Member Consumer Electronics Association
Member KULUA - Kansas Unix & Linux Users Association
2010-2013 National Science Foundation, ARI-R2 Repair and Renovation: Advancing Research in Biodiversity Science (Co-PI) $1,512,426.00
2011 University of Kansas, July Unclassified Employee of the Month
1. Storage and Server improvements for Biodiversity Research:
Architected the design of 12 TB storage and server environment in collaboration with Biodiversity Institute Informatics for collaborative support of 230 collections using Specify software for biodiversity collections data management.
2. Support for Biodiversity Art Installations:
Designed hardware and software requirements between the Biodiversity Institute and the Spencer Museum of Art for interdisciplinary research and art exhibits while utilizing a shared IT infrastructure.
3. Support Collaborative Efforts with online communities:
Created and maintain several Wikis and SVN repositories utilized in several departments at the Biodiversity Institute to foster collaborative efforts between our institute and other research efforts globally.
Biodiversity Institute News
Dec 10, 2013
Sep 23, 2013
Sep 23, 2013
Aug 9, 2013
May 7, 2013