We were very excited to see the fantastic photographs that were submitted to this competition – all participants took great photos! Enjoy viewing the winning images below, and be sure to view all of the awesome entries on display in the third floor dining area of the Kansas Union, directly next door to the KU Natural History Museum. The images will be on display in the Union from August 1 - October 1, 2018. Join us for our next citizen science BugBlitz on September 14 from 7-9pm at South Park in downtown Lawrence and then submit your insect images for consideration in our Fall BugBlitz Youth Photography Competition (entries due November 16).
- In the Ages 12 and Under category, the Summer 2018 winners are –
- --FIRST PLACE: Owen Tasoulas from Independence, MO
- --RUNNERS UP: Teagan Roberts from Lawrence, KS, and Oakley Kraus from Lawrence, KS
In the Ages 13 to 18 category, the Summer 2018 winners are –
- --FIRST PLACE: Casey Kong from Lawrence, KS
- --RUNNERS UP: Zekkiah Hird from Desoto, KS, and Claire Coultis from Topeka, KS
The images were scored according to a rubric that accounted for technique, lighting, composition, and impact (wow factor). Images were scored by a team of two professional photographers and two museum staff members.